Like paint colors and furnishings, flooring in a home is not only a vital part of the overall look and feel, but often provides additional advantages. We’ve selected a few of our favorite eco-friendly options and outlined the benefits of each.
- Easy Maintenance – Cleaning is a breeze. A simple damp towel or mop is all that is needed. In addition, it’s stain and moisture resistant.
- Durability – Bamboo actually ranks higher on the Janka wood hardness scale than certain oak, maple and pinewoods, which makes it a great option for heavily trafficked areas of the home.
- Color Options – Typically there are two color families. Blonde (true to the natural bamboo coloring) and Smoked (a darker, amber shade, which is created through a smoking process – usually has a caramel tone). Each color family can easily be incorporated into an existing decor.
- Styles – Options include a horizontal grain bamboo, which purposely reflects the dark ringed growth patterns of the plant – producing unique patterns within each piece or vertical grain, which offers a polished and even colored appearance.
- Comfort – Cork flooring provides natural insulation and shock resistance benefits. In turn, it is great for rooms where standing for long periods of time is common – like the kitchen.
- Color Options – The number of color and pattern options are endless. Cork flooring can be ordered or created to match or complement existing color schemes and decor.
- Noise Reduction – The same structure that creates comfort in cork flooring, also provides noise reduction benefits. Often times, cork flooring is selected for second story rooms as it reduces the noise of people walking, pets, music and television.
- Health Benefits – Cork is naturally an anti-allergenic and resistant to insects. As such, there are many health benefits associated withthis flooring option. Given it is all natural, the flooring is safe for adults, animals and infants.
- 100% Unique – Given that reclaimed wood flooring is comprised of salvaged wood, each piece is completely unique, which creates a one-of-a-kind look that can never be duplicated.
- Color Options – From antique oak to chic maples to white pine, there are vast number of choices when it comes to color and finishes.
- Durability – Reclaimed wood offers the same properties as traditional hard wood flooring. As such, this flooring type will last for decades.
- Easy Maintenance – Cleaning couldn’t be easier. Mild cleaning solution and warm water is all these floors need to remain looking fresh.
Have you seen any other eco-friendly flooring options? If so, we’d love to hear about them!
Take a look at home flooring resources in the following areas or search additional cities: